Monday, August 27, 2007

Alejandro, 2nd part

This intervention was made not inside the context of sales but inside the context of how he was "perceiving" and "relating" to a particular situation and the openings for action that that perception were opening and closing for him.
He was 'suffering' a "fear attack" and his selling activities were almost stopped. He wasn't making phone calls or visiting his clients or even trying to make a list of prospects. He was very fearful because, as I wrote in part one of this case, he was in the middle of a fraud lawsuit. The company he worked with was sued because his boss stole thousands of dollars from its clients and Alejandro was working there. His boss left the country but some of his employees stayed without knowing what was happening and some were sued.

In the coaching session he came very fearful. He told me the following:

Alejandro: I'm going to jail! When I see a police patrol immediately I think that the are coming after me. When my home or my cell phone rang I think that it's the police or my lawyer calling to tell me bad news. I'm scared.
Coach: Yes, for me that's clear. Can you do anything right know? Or everything is in the hands of your lawyers?
Alejandro: Everything is in the hands of my lawyers.
Coach: And tell me, how's your sales activity the last week?
Alejandro: Nothing because I was afraid as I told you. Sometimes I used half of the day thinking what would happen if I go to jail and that scare me the most. And then...
Coach: Yes, you are paralyzed thinking about with the fear of going to jail and also with the fear you provoke to yourself thinking about it, but I want to ask you something: lets say that effectively, you will and surely be send to jail. The judge declares that you and your friends are guilty of fraud. You lose and you go to jail.
What do yo prefer, to go to jail WITH MONEY or WITHOUT MONEY?
Alejandro: It's obvious! With money!
Coach: So?
Alejandro: ...
Coach: You need activity...and fast. And probably you're not going to believe me but if you start your selling activities as we have talked you're going to reduce a lot the possibilities to be found guilty or to go to jail. If you do your selling activities you're going to put far that possibility. On the other hand, if you use all your day thinking in going to jail, you probably are going to end there. But in the event that you go to jail, if you sell, you will go with money and feeling better.

After this part of the session, we reviewed the activities he could do through the next week in order to increase his selling activities and earn money and he found a lot. He closed a sale and started several sales processes with some clients that he closed several weeks later. He won the lawsuit and he is now very successful as a salesman. He was my client for more than two years.

No comments:

 
Tweet